Wednesday 12 September 2012

Pest Control

I think that owners of old houses must spend more effort than your average person on pest control. It's not a very glamourous subject, but a house full of mice is a strong motivator. I am happy to see the little critters when I am out in the wilderness. I do not want to see them in the house, however. I have discussed the mouse infestation (perhaps that is too strong a phrase) in previous posts. They had been almost everywhere. For such small creatures, they make a big mess.

We could not keep the trays of rat poison around, since we have small children. I saw ultrasonic rodent repellers in the hardware store, so I bought a few. We placed them in several rooms, particularly those rooms where the mice had been the most active.

We did this as soon as we took possession of the house this summer. I must say that we have not had any mice since we did this! I have not seen a mouse, heard a mouse, and I have not seen any mouse signs anywhere. We are lucky that the house has electricity, so this is an option for us.

My parents will be staying with us in the Little Blue House very soon, so I am happy that my mother will not (I hope) have to confront any rodents. I'm sure there will be enough challenges as it is, with no insulation, very little heat, limited water, etc. But she is all heart and she's keen to stay with us. I will let you know how that goes.

Ultrasonic Rodent Repeller

I bought one more of these for the kitchen. That way, every room in the house will be covered, with the exception of the bathroom.

Foul rodents, be gone!

2 comments:

  1. Ever wondered how mice got the cute-as Mickey Disney reputation????

    Me neither!

    So what's the devices' maximum sq/ft coverage? Perhaps suggest guests bring one and the future is covered...

    Warm hugs,
    Auntie Jo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Auntie Jo!
    I am not sure about Disney sometimes. We call it "Disnefication." But those mice were really good to poor Cinderella when she was feeling low. :)
    These devices protect an "average room" and are not supposed to be blocked by furniture, etc. We will take your advice and issue each guest with one!

    ReplyDelete