Thursday 28 February 2013

Antique Hunting

I recently had the pleasure of browsing through a couple of Edmonton's antique malls. It has become my new hobby, antique hunting. I think I always appreciated antiques before we bought the Little Blue House, but I certainly am more interested in them now that we have a 115 year-old house.

An antique mall is a collection of small booths, which are leased by people who wish to sell their wares. They lease the tiny spaces and pay a commission on any sales. I imagine it's a good way to get rid of old things, and it makes for a really interesting shopping experience. I love people-watching in these antique malls almost as much as I love exploring all of the fascinating and sometimes odd bits and pieces... Everyone seems lost in their own little world, picking up this and that, reminiscing about the past... the treasures are triggers for so many memories.

Most of my visits to the antique malls are simply spent browsing, and gathering ideas. Sometimes I might be looking for something specific, such as the fantastic beaded fringe lamp that I found in the fall last year. The lights that originally came with the LBH (the house was fully furnished) were pretty horrific looking (read Fugly). I'm sure that these luminescent creations served a practical purpose, but most of them did not go with the house. These particular lights have found new homes in Atlin, I am happy to say. Over time, I would like to find Victorian lamps, along with more Victorian furniture, to replace the things that kind of don't belong.

I spent time in the Old Strathcona Antique Mall during one of these recent outings. I was mostly just looking, for fun. Here are a few things that I saw; I am a somewhat tempted by the lamp below. It is a blown glass "coin dot" lamp. The shade is obviously newer, and it has been re-wired and attached to a small black pedestal, perhaps to prevent it from tipping over. I wonder who owned this lamp? Isn't it pretty? I've been admiring it for several months.

Victorian Coin Dot Lamp in Blown Glass

The ceiling light fixture below caught my eye, although its vintage isn't in keeping with the age of our LBH. A converted gas-light ceiling fixture would probably look better? Also, I think it would hang too low, due to the parlour's low ceiling. My 6'4" husband might not appreciate that. The light is Art Deco, apparently.

Art Deco Ceiling Lamp

Perhaps the most fun in these antique malls is examining all of the odd little bits and pieces. Certainly, there is a bit of junk in with the real treasures. Or should I say there are a few treasures in with the junk? The settee in the picture below is interesting. It is not for me, but it was fun to behold.

Fun Old Stuff

I wonder at these small booths, which are like windows into lives lived - old ways of life, loves, memories and losses.

No comments:

Post a Comment