Friday 5 April 2013

Snow

Atlin is still blanketed in quite a bit of snow. I thought I would share a few of my favourite recent photos with you. Atlin Lake is frozen, and it forms a large playground at the moment. The days are long (sunrise today is at 7:08 am and sunset is already a lovely 8:46 pm)! People are out snowshoeing, cross-country skiing, snowmobiling, racing cars on the frozen lake, walking, flying ski planes, and backcountry skiing.

Here is the MV Tarahne, built in 1917. The vessel was lengthened in 1926. In the 1920s, Atlin was a popular tourist destination. After the gold rush, people flocked to Atlin, which became known as "Little Switzerland." During this time, there was no road to the town, so tourists sailed up the Inside Passage, then traveled overland through mountain passes, and finally across Atlin Lake in vessels such as the Tarahne.

MV Tarahne, March 2013

The big melt is on, and last weekend the snow was sliding off the roof of our Little Blue House. It either comes off dramatically, with some noise, or in the case below, it travels by inches, curling toward the ground. It seems to resist gravity, instead wishing to cling to the roof...
Roof Cornice Seen from the Parlour

Lastly, I think the picture below makes our house look cozy. You can see the old cafe across the street, sitting empty. Beyond it, there is Atlin Lake, and a large expanse of mountains leading to the Llewellyn Glacier.
Old Cafe from Parlour Window

Well, that is it for now. Really, I should be sleeping and not blogging...  I promise to post more photos soon - I have so many - and I've been sitting on a great find... Hee hee! I will describe it in my next post. It was a great surprise...

No comments:

Post a Comment